SuperDuperKyle and Kehlani Talk About Effects Of Media in a Song

Image result for kyle kehlani
On Friday May 10th, my Mom and I were heading up to San Francisco for a basketball tournament. My phone was plugged into the auxiliary port, also known as aux, and I was playing music from my playlist. While my music was playing it was randomly shuffling through songs, and Just A Picture by SuperDuperKyle featuring Kehlani came on. As I was listening to the lyrics I realized this song relates a lot to social media and the effects of it and what it does to people. I then realized this would be a really good blog post so here it is.

In the beginning of the song Kyle starts by saying that this is a real problem and that it should be taken seriously. He then starts by singing "why don't you come back down to Earth, you spend too much time in cyberspace." This shows that social media has taken a real turn into making people believe social media can be better than reality. In Kehlani's first part she starts off by saying, "Do me just one thing. Put that phone down and look at me. I wanna love you but you'd rather tweet. I wanna love you but you'd rather love that screen." In here Kehlani is saying that we are so attached to our phones that we can sometimes cut off our connections with the people in our lives that care for us. It shows how social media has drifted us away from not only reality but the people in our lives as well. 

Image result for just a picture kyleKyle also says in the chorus, "You're bigger than your instagram. You know that I'm your biggest fan. You're so something to show the pictures can't." And Kehlani says in her chorus, "You look for likes when you could have love. You look for fans when you could have us. You know it's so much bigger babe. Just a picture." Kyle and Kehlani show how people use social media to fill their own insecurities with likes and followers. They show how people are stuck in their phones because they want peoples approval and that they will do anything just to see that people like them or think they are "cool". But Kyle and Kehlani also show how while they are doing this the people that care for them and love them are their biggest supporters and accept them for who they are. But, we are so stuck in our phones we are distracted to even notice how our loved ones look at us and feel about us. 

In all Kyle and Kehlani bring attention to the affects of social media and what it has done to people. And adding on to that I believe they are sending out the message that social media is meaningless, point the title of the song "Just A Picture." I do recommend anyone to listen to the song it is creative and overall just a good song.

Sources Used:

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Kyle and Kehlani! It was so smart of them to make the point about social media through something in which people are so accustomed to using: music. On top of that, Kyle and Kehlani are both huge in the music industry and their music is listened to all around, so there is no doubt that one will not listen to this new single with both of their voices on it. The message I got from hearing this song is that media has become a huge part of our lives, that it seems like it has become an attachment. Some have made social media their life, which ultimately destroys them. They become anti-social because they are so prone to staring and using their phones 24/7. I agree that social media ruins relationships because our phones have become a distraction. I have found this to be true, as I tend to ignore my parents or friends when they are talking to me because I am so focused on my phone. (especially during situations when I shouldn't be). Every time we go on our phones, we fall into this dream like world and forget about reality. We make technology our number one priority over the things that should matter the most. Sure technology provides us with a lot of essentials, but I think we need to realize that there are certain things that technology cannot give us like establish true relationships, friendships, and conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100% with everything you wrote. The way Kehlani and Kyle are able to use thier platform to bring awareness to the effects of social media is amazing. SO many kids listen to their music and it was really great on their end to use their music as a way to get the message out to teens, who are probably the biggest groups of people effected by media today. Kyle's lyrics, "You're bigger than your Instagram" may not seem important, but I think it is. Teens are being taught from a young age that their appearance and the amount of like and followers is what makes them who they are. They don't understand that people's social media accounts do not define that person. People will post what they think other people want to see, what will make them look the most appealing to society's standards. What they don't see is the struggle of that real person's life. Therefore, they are left to believe that Instagram, or any social media, in fact does define a person.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts