I am here to talk about the merchants of cool because i'm Michael Jackson yo hee hee

The documentary, "Merchants of Cool" broaden my view to what advertisement does just to get teens to want to but their product because it seems "cool". Though the video seems to be a little out dated it still seems to relate to advertisement and media today. I have learned that advertisers who understand teens and can make teens feel they can relate to the product they are selling, they are likely to grow bigger.

Image result for kit kat chance ad

One thing that stood out to me was the use of famous celebrities are used to attract teenagers. And you still see that now. Like for example Kit Kat used an ad with Chance the Rapper in the ad as well as put his face on some of the wrappers. This is a good advertisement to teens because a lot of teens seem to like him and he is seen as 
"cool" too many teens. So for Kit Kat to use him as an ad they are using him to attract teens. This is a commercial I myself actually like because Chance the Rapper which makes myself want to buy Kit Kat because I see Chance the Rapper likes it and I like Chance the Rapper because he is considered cool.

In my opinion I think that using this type of advertisement to teens is actually really smart. And I think tracking down what is cool to help advertise your products in a way teens will like is smart because you will make more profit if your ad is considered cool to teens. But also I believe some ads try to follow cool and end up using it in the wrong way and ending up making little money because they didn't track the "cool" right.

Comments

Popular Posts