MissRepresentation comment if you want I guess ($_$)

Image result for moana
MissRepresentation has changed my perspective and overall just widened it as well. Though this was a very long movie or documentary, I really liked it. Like I actually payed attention the entire time and I like was really into it. I feel like it was so interesting because I found it bad that media has influenced this effect of how we portray women. 

I first wanna talk about the part where they were all like well men aren't allowed to show their emotions so this is why they act out the way they do. I understand that it is hard for men to put out their emotions because of media and how they have portrayed men. But this is no excuse for them to be raping women and them have that for their excuse. It is sad that we think that this can be an excuse for men. 

I also want to talk about how women for the longest women haven't really been a protagonist but even if they said they were they really aren't. Like take for example princess movies they have a sidekick because they can't really do it on their own they need the help of someone. And not only that Disney princess are put into dresses to please the men watching and make it so their audience isn't only girls and women.

MissRepresentation has opened my eyes up to how much it affects how we portray genders. Media has made women seem more has an object than an actual human. This is just frustrating because women should be seen as equal to men. And not only that people today still say today "you fight like a girl" and all these things but what is wrong being a woman. We are said to be given the same rights but in reality we are still seen as second class to men and that needs to change. PSHHHH YOLO.

Comments

  1. I think the same is true for women about showing emotions. Women are often criticized for showing any type of emotion. The Nike ad that we watched in class showed that women who show emotions aren't weak, they are strong. I like how you included that men are also not supposed to show emotion because they are often seen as weak for this. However, they aren't criticized for becoming angry while women are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really enjoyed watching this documentary. When you say men aren't able to show their emotions, how do you think this can be prevented? I think this can go for both men and women, like Lauren said. I believe men and women both struggle to show their emotions because media presents this fantasy that everyone needs to be okay and if you aren't then your too emotional and considered soft. Also, one reason why I think women out of all people can't really show their emotions is because people will just use the excuse, "oh, she is just on her period." Especially for women in politics.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts